Ocean and Earth Sciences: For Southampton Ocean and Earth Sciences-specific careers information, see the OES Careers and Employability page.
For Southampton undergrads: Find job postings on the SOES Careers page on Blackboard here: SOES Careers.
Southampton-wide: For university-wide careers events, you may also want to bookmark the Career Destinations: Events Calendar, which lists when they are running CV clinics, cover letters, interview skills, and more, and the Career Fairs, when the employers come to you.
Other information online about ocean and marine-related careers and network opportunities:
- IMAREST – the Institute of Marine Engineering, Science and Technology has a special network available for young members, including networking opportunities, and a jobs database. There are special membership rates for students, as well as awards and scholarships available.
- Ocean Careers (http://oceancareers.com) Curious about what types of jobs exist for after you finish an undergraduate degree in an Ocean-related subject? This website describes a lot of them, including experience expected, and what salary you might achieve. Note, however, it’s an American website, so the information may be more relevant to careers in the United States. Ocean and Earth Sciences Careers Day
Ocean and Earth Sciences Careers Day
Date for 2014/15: 12 February 2014
Date for 2013/14: 13 February 2014
This is a great opportunity to meet companies with a specific interest in your skills and knowledge. The day includes panels of OES graduates, exhibitors including those with summer placement opportunities and jobs, many of whom have hired OES graduates in the past. You can attend any year, but it’s especially recommended for those of you in your 2nd and 3rd years, when you should be thinking about your future career, or taking steps to find employment.
Here is a list of companies that have attended the Ocean and Earth Sciences careers day in the past:
- Atkins – http://www.atkinsglobal.com/careers
- CGG – www.cgg.com/careers
- EGS – www.egssurvey.com
- ERM – http://www.erm.com/en/Careers-Home/
- Deloitte – www.psg.deloitte.com
- Fugro EMU Limited – www.emulimited.com
- Fugro GEOS – www.geos.com
- Gardline – www.gardlinemarinesciences.com
- IBM – http://www-05.ibm.com/employment/uk/graduate-programmes/index.shtml
- ION-GX Technology – www.iongeo.com/Products_Services/Data_Processing
- Mott MacDonald – www.water.mottmac.com
- Neftex – www.neftex.com
- Ordnance Survey – www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/careers/index.html
- Royal Navy – www.royalnavy.mod.uk/careers
- RSK – www.rsk.co.uk
- Schlumberger – http://careers.slb.com/
- SeaStar Survey – www.seastarsurvey.co.uk/index.php/en
- Senergy – www.senergyworld.com
- Southern Inshore Fisheries & Conservation Authority (SIFCA) – www.southern-ifca.gov.uk
- Stratex – http://www.stratexinternational.com/
- TGS http://www.tgs.com/careers.aspx
- Tullow Oil – http://www.tullowoil.com/index.asp?pageid=1
And other organisations that exhibited:
- University of Southampton Student AAPG Chapter – www.southampton.ac.uk/~aapg
- University of Southampton SEG Student Chapter – http://www.segweb.org
- University of Southampton Alumni and Development – www.southampton.ac.uk/alumni
- University of Southampton Career Destinations – www.southampton.ac.uk/careers
- Ocean and Earth Science Graduate School – www.noc.ac.uk/gsnocs